Recipe by Jeremy McAdams of Cherry Tree House Mushrooms. Makes 1 omelet.
- 3 ounces oyster or other mushrooms*, stems trimmed and caps chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, bacon fat, or olive oil
- 2 eggs*
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream*
- 2 teaspoons chives or other herbs*, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 cup chevre* or other soft cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped greens*
*Sourced at Mill City Farmers Market
Heat 1 Tablespoon butter or other fat on medium-low heat in a medium sized non-stick frying pan. Saute mushroom caps in butter until soft and slightly browned. If mushroom look dry, add more butter to the pan. Set aside.
Whisk together cream, chopped herbs and eggs. Heat the same non-stick pan on medium heat and add 1/2 Tablespoon of butter. When hot, pour egg mixture into the pan so that the mixture extends to the edges of the pan. Top one half of egg with tabs of cheese. Add sauted mushrooms and fresh greens.
When egg is cooked through, fold omelet in half and serve. Garnish with more herbs if you like.
*Photo credit http://cookinginsens.wordpress.com