This recipe comes from Mill City Farmers Market vendor Jeremy McAdams who owns Northwood Mushrooms farm with his wife Aimee. The simple market omelete is perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner and features ingredients from fellow market vendors. Keep it simple as is or serve with a side of local mixed greens and vinaigrette.
Learn more about Northwood Mushrooms in our blog article about their winter farming operations and by visiting them at their booth Saturdays year-round.
By MCFM Vendors
- 2-3 ounces fresh mushrooms from Northwood Mushrooms, tough stems removed and caps chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, bacon fat or olive oil, separated
- 2 eggs from Sunshine Harvest Farm
- 1 Tablespoon sheeps milk from Shepherd’s Way Farm
- 2 teaspoons chives or other herbs, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 cup market cheese, grated
Heat 1 Tablespoon butter or other fat on medium-low heat in a medium sized non-stick frying pan. Saute mushrooms in butter until soft and slightly browned. If mushrooms look dry, add more butter or a splash of water to the pan. Set aside.
Whisk together milk, chopped herbs and eggs. Heat the same non-stick pan on medium heat and add 1/2 Tablespoon of butter. When hot, pour egg mixture into the pan so that the mixture extends to the edges of the pan. Top one half of egg mixture with cheese. Add sauted mushrooms and herbs.
When egg is cooked through, fold omelet in half and serve. Garnish with more cheese and herbs if you like.