Next Stage Grant Program
The Mill City Farmers Market Charitable Fund (MCFM-CF) is committed to the success and sustainability of the local food economy. MCFM-CF designed the Next Stage Grant to provide funding to local, regenerative farmers and other food producers who are improving sustainable farming and business practices or growing toward the “next stage” of their local food businesses. Learn more in our video below.
Applications for the 2021 grant cycle are open through March 1st, 2021. Find application instructions and more information below.
2020 Next Stage Grant Awardees
- Mhonpaj’s Garden – Cold Storage for Produce
- Nistler Farms – Commercial Baking Equipment for Sweet Breads
- North Circle Seeds – Organic & Culturally Important Seed Cultivation and Marketing
- Northwood Mushrooms – Increasing Dried Mushroom Capacity and Quality
- Racing Heart Farm – Deer Eradication Fence
- Salt and Light Heritage Farm – Produce Collection for Animal Feed
- Solar Fresh Produce – Soil Health in Caterpillar Tunnels
- Twin Cities Berry Company – Improving Non-chemical Season Extension for Organic Strawberries in Minnesota
Next Stage Grants range from $2,000 to $7,000 dollars and past projects have included season extension, cold storage for produce and flowers, organic certification and experimenting with new tools and techniques.
Through equipment, technologies and other capacity building that increases yields, improves growing practices and supports small sustainable businesses, farmers and makers become more efficient and successful. We have seen these farmers’ hard work and innovation and know they can be successful with a little help from their community.
“The project is actively changing our lives and bringing much needed financial security to the farm.” -2020 Awardee Leah Bailey, Salt and Light Heritage Farm