This recipe comes from Mill City Farmers Market’s Nutrition Interns. As greens come in and out of season at the market, you can substitute arugula for spinach, kale, basil or whatever else you find! Serve this with Poached Wild Salmon, grilled chicken, roasted vegetables, on sandwiches or tossed with pasta.
By MCFM Nutrition Interns
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup walnuts, hazelnuts, sesame seeds or other nut/seed
- 2-4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 ounces hard aged cheese from Shepherd’s Way Farm or Cosmic Wheel Creamery, grated
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a food processor, pulse the arugula leaves with the toasted walnuts and smashed garlic cloves until finely chopped. Add the cheese, lemon zest and juice and pulse until combined. With the machine on, add the olive oil in a steady stream and process to a smooth paste. Season the pesto with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and serve.
Pesto will last in fridge up to 2 days. Cover with plastic wrap directly on pesto, and then cover tightly with a lid.