For zucchini noodles
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized
- If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can hand-cut the zucchini to resemble fettuccini with a julienne cut
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- generous pinch salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- ½ of a medium onion, finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 lb tomatoes, or about 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup red cooking/dry wine
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 5 basil leaves, cut into small ribbons
- 2-3 cups spinach
- 2 Tablespoons grated hard cheese, optional
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the carrot, celery, onion, salt, pepper, and oregano, and cook until vegetables are lightly golden brown and soft, about 8 minutes.
Add tomatoes, red wine, maple syrup, and garlic to the skillet, and turn the heat down to low. Cook until tomatoes are soft and mixture has reduced, about 20-25 minutes.
While sauce is cooking, in a shallow saucepan or a frying pan, heat ½ tablespoon olive oil over low to medium heat. Add spiralized zucchini, cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes or just until tender. Remove from heat and keep covered until sauce is finished cooking.
Once sauce mixture is reduced, add the basil leaves and the spinach. Continue cooking until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
Serve sauce over zucchini noodles, top with optional basil leaf garnish and shredded cheese.