This recipe comes from MCFM’s 2020 nutrition intern Olivia Jacobs. Turn a classic caprese salad in to a meal with the addition of quinoa, wilted kale and grilled fruit. Serve on its own or with grilled Sunshine Harvest Farm chicken breast or protein of your choice to make it your #WeeklyMarketMeal
Quinoa Caprese Salad
By MCFM Nutrition Interns
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6-8 oz fresh mozzarella from Prairie Hollow Farm, cubed into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes or diced heirloom tomatoes
- 1 medium apricot or peach (optional)
- 12 large basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar
Cook quinoa according to package instructions. While it is still hot, stir in finely chopped kale, salt and pepper, and cover for 5 minutes. Spread the quinoa and kale mixture in a shallow layer in a serving bowl or individual plate, and allow to cool completely.
If using, slice apricot or peach and grill on medium heat about 4 minutes on each side until grill marks appear. Set aside.
When everything has cooled, top quinoa and kale mixture with mozzarella, tomatoes and grilled fruit if using. Garnish with basil, and drizzle olive oil and balsamic over the entire salad.