Using local organic cornmeal from our vendor Sunrise Flour Mill and whatever seasonal vegetables and proteins stand out to you at the market, you can put a simple and delicious meal together. Serve with a chutney, sauce or salsa from one of our vendors or make your own sauce! We recommend Market Chef Jenny’s Chimichurri or Quick Pickled Radishes.
Crispy Polenta Wedges with Market Vegetables
By Jenny Breen
- 4 cups water, salted
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal from Sunrise Flour Mill
- Neutral oil for frying, like sunflower oil
- Grilled or roasted vegetables from the farmers market, for serving
- Local cheese, sausages, chicken, fried egg or other protein of choice from the market, optional for serving
- Sauce or salsa from one of our vendors or make your own, optional for serving
Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Gradually whisk in 1 cup cornmeal. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
Pour cooked cornmeal (or basic polenta) into a lightly oiled walled baking dish, spreading evenly about 3/4 inch deep. Let sit or refrigerate until firm, and then cut polenta into even pieces for frying.
Working in batches, fry the polenta pieces in oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Using tongs, transfer the polenta pieces to paper towels and drain. Serve polenta with your choice of roasted or grilled vegetables and proteins from the market–have fun with it!