Maple Mustard Roasted Turnips and Rutabaga
By Beth Jones
- 2 small-medium turnips, peeled, medium dice
- 2 small-medium rutabagas, peeled, medium dice
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled, medium dice
- 1-2 Tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 grinds of black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Horner’s Corner maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 slices bacon from Sunshine Harvest Farm, chopped and fried until crisp (optional)
Preheat the oven to 475. Lightly oil a large baking sheet. Toss the turnips, rutabagas, and onions with the sunflower oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula for even browning.
In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, mustard and cider vinegar. Take the sheet pan out of the oven and pour the maple mixture over the vegetables (be careful it may splatter!) If using the green tops of the vegetables, add them to the sheet pan at this time. Stir the vegetables and return to the oven for 1 minute to caramelize. Stir in the bacon and serve hot with roasted chicken or fried eggs–or if serving as a salad, chill completely and top with colorful microgreens.