Many cauliflower recipes call for the florets, but what about those perfectly edible cauliflower stems? Rather than throwing the stem (a.k.a “core”) in the compost, you can make this caulfilower stem hummus for zero waste cooking and a nutritious snack! The stems from one cauliflower head will only make 2-3 servings of hummus, but you can save and freeze stems until you collect enough to make a decent sized batch, ideally 2-4 stems.
Cauliflower Stem Hummus
- 2 cups of roughly choped cauliflower stems/cores
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, separated
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1½ Tablespoons tahini (or substitute more oil)
- 2 Tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- Up to ½ cup of water, as needed
Coat cauliflower stems in 1 Tablespoon olive oil and roast in the oven at 425 °F for about 15 minutes or until tender, stirring halfway through. Once roasted, combine stems with the remainging ingredients and only ¼ cup of water in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, incorporating more water if needed to reach the desired consistency. Taste for salt, lemon/lime and other spices and adjust as needed. Enjoy!