By MCFM Nutrition Interns
- 3 beets, green tops removed and scrubbed clean
- 1/2 a medium onion, diced
- 1 medium-sized tomato, diced (optional)
- 1/2 bunch of basil, shredded
- 2-3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soft cheese from one of our four farmstead cheesemakers (optional)
- Bread slices
Grate the beets with a cheese grater. Combine with onions, tomato and basil in a large bowl along with the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside to allow the flavors to mingle. Meanwhile, brush the bread slices with olive oil and toast until golden brown. Spread cheese on the bread slices and generously spoon the beet mixture on top. Drizzle the remaining juices on top.
One cup of raw beets provides about 60 calories, 4g of fiber, 2g protein, and 6% of the recommended daily value of iron. It is also a good source of antioxidants, which can protect against heart disease and stroke.
Click here for more information about Meet Your Vegetables!