By MCFM Vendors
- Premade pie crust (use your favorite recipe or a thawed store-bought crust)
- ½ to ¾ cup shiitake or oyster mushrooms from Cherry Tree House Mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped (see note if working with dried mushrooms)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3/4 cup friesago cheese from Shepherd’s Way Farm(or other hard, aged cheese) grated
- 4 eggs from Sunshine Harvest Farm, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups milk or half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teapsoon fish sauce (optional)
Line an 8-inch pie plate with pie crust and par-bake for five minutes at 350 degrees (or according to package directions).
Wash mushrooms under cool water. Trim away any remaining dirty sections and tough stems from mushrooms, which can be saved for soup stock or composted. Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter or oil on medium heat. Sauté mushrooms until soft and slightly browned, about five minutes. If mushroom look dry add more butter or oil to the pan. Set aside.
Cook onion in remaining butter or oil until transparent. Combine the onion with all remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Whisk until frothy, then pour into the pie crust.
Bake quiche for 30-50 minutes at 350 degrees, until a knife inserted one inch from the crust’s edge comes out clean.