This recipe comes from a partnership between local cookbook author Beth Dooley and Mill City Farmers Market vendor American Hazelnut Company, a collaborative of hazelnut growers across the Midwest. Find them at the market with raw and roasted hazelnuts, hazelnut flour and hazelnut oil.
Hazelnut oil is a fragrant, nutty oil that will elevate your salad dressings, sauces and roasted vegetables, like in the recipe below. It is also a local olive oil replacement with a higher smoke point for sauteing. Visit American Hazelnut Company’s website for more recipes featuring hazelnuts and hazelnut oil.
Hazelnut Maple Vinaigrette
By Beth Dooley
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup from Horner’s Corner
- 2 Tablespoons coarse grained mustard
- 1 clove garlic or garlic scapes, smashed and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped shallot or green onion
- ½ cup hazelnut oil from American Hazelnut Company
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes to taste
In a blender or medium bowl, combine vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, garlic and shallot and blend or whisk by hand until well combined. Pour in the oil and blend until emulsified. Taste and season with salt and peppers.
Enjoy on salads or grilled and roasted vegetables. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to a month.