Maple Squash Soup with Coconut and Apple Cider
By Beth Dooley
- 2 Tablespoons coconut or sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup apple cider from Horner’s Corner
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock (or substitute water)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup from Horner’s Corner
- Black pepper
- Microgreens, optional topping
- Pepitas, optional topping
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and a generous dash of salt and sauté, stirring until onion is tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
Add the squash, apple cider and stock. Simmer until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and the maple syrup. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or carefully in small batches in a blender. Return the soup to the pot, adding more liquid if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste and heat through. Serve garnished with microgreens and pepitas.