By: Market Chef Beth Jones
Serves 2-4. This recipe calls for quark, an unaged German-style soft cheese. Mill City Farmers Market vendor Cosmic Wheel Creamery makes excellent herbed and plain quark that goes great with this dish!
- 1 batch Spätzle
- 3 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, small dice
- 1 large kohlrabi, peeled, medium dice
- 1 small red or yellow pepper, seeded, medium dice
- 1 small zucchini, medium dice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup fresh parsley or basil, chiffonade
- ½ cup Cosmic Wheel Creamery Quark
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large cast iron pan, allowing to brown slightly. Add the spätzle, tossing to coat. When thoroughly coated, allow the spätzle to brown over medium high heat. This can take anywhere from 3-6 minutes. Once browned, stir and allow to brown for another 3 minutes. Remove the Spätzle from the pan, and add an additional tablespoon of butter. Sauté the onions until brown, and add the remaining vegetables, thyme, garlic and salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Add 1/ 2 cup white wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the Spätzle and toss with the parsley and or basil. Top with the quark and serve.