Roasted Delicata Squash with Spiced Yogurt Dressing
By Beth Jones
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup plain yogurt, preferably Greek
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and minced
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the Squash:
- 3 medium delicata squashes, seeded and cut into ½ inch thick half moons
- 3 Tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo chili flakes
For the Pumpkin Seeds:
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin julienne strips
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 small bunch kale or other greens, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Pinch of coarse sea salt
Preheat the oven to 400.
Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Mix the sunflower oil and chili flakes in a small bowl, and rub onto the delicata squash, coating the skin and cut sides. Roast for 15-20 minutes until just soft, and nicely caramelized.
Heat the oil in a medium large pan. Fry the red onion over medium heat until brown and slightly crisp. Add the pumpkin seeds and cook, while stirring, until they begin to pop. Optional: Add chopped kale and cook 2-5 minutes, until slightly wilted. Drizzle in the maple syrup and cook for 30 seconds. Sprinkle on the sea salt and remove from the heat.
Place the cooked squash on a platter and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with the pumpkin seed mixture and serve warm or at room temperature.
Photos by Mill City Times.