Stir Fried Beef Bowls with Veggies and Kimchi
By Beth Jones
For the Beef
- 1 Tablespoon green garlic, or garlic chives, minced
- 2 Tablespoons tamari
- 1 Tablespoon gochugaru (coarse Korean hot pepper flakes) or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon grated peeled ginger
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground beef (or substitute ground pork or turkey for a lighter option)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Kosher salt
Rice Wine Vinaigrette
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup sesame oil
- ⅓ cup sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon minced green garlic, or garlic scapes
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 -2 teaspoons Shahiya Chitney, Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce
For the Vegetables
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced, greens removed and washed
- 4 salad turnips, thinly sliced, greens removed and washed
- 1 medium head lettuce, or 5 cups mixed greens, washed
- 4 cups chopped asparagus, broccoli, or whole peapods, blanched and shocked in ice water
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- Kimchi from Kiss My Cabbage or You Betcha Kimchi
To marinate the beef, combine ground beef, garlic, tamari, gochugaru, ginger, maple syrup, and sesame oil in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal the bag, and squish everything around until the meat is coated. Let sit at room temperature 30 minutes, or marinate in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
To make the dressing, combine ingredients in a mason jar, cover and shake until well combined.
Next, combine the lettuce and chopped vegetables in a large serving bowl, the cilantro and scallions in another, and the kimchi in a third. Hold in the fridge until just before serving.
Cook the beef by heating 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the meat from the bag, letting excess marinade drip back into bag; season lightly with salt and cook in a single layer without moving until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Toss meat and continue to cook, until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining marinade and cook another minute. Remove from the heat and place in a serving bowl.
Assembly and serving: Allow your guests to assemble their own bowls. Pass the greens and veggies, the chopped herbs, the vinaigrette, and the beef in separate bowls. Place the greens and veg on the bottom, top with the beef, herbs, and kimchi, and then dress with the vinaigrette.