Squash and Coconut Oatmeal
By Nettie Colón
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup roasted and mashed winter squash (any squash that you would like, be wary of the dryer squash)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut milk (or any milk you prefer)
- 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- A generous pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon shredded coconut
- Honey or maple syrup to taste
- A pinch of cardamom, optional
- Apples, pears and pomegranate seeds
- Almonds, pumpkin seeds and other nuts
- Ground flax seed from Ellie’s Whole Grains
- Nettie’s favorite combination is apples or pears with crumbled bacon and pumpkin seeds
In a small pot, heat coconut oil or butter over medium heat. Add oats and toast until fragrant, around 5 minutes. Add water and cook until done. Stir in squash puree, coconut milk, ginger, chia seeds, and salt.
Add the cinnamon, coconut flakes, honey or maple syrup, and cardamom. Check for seasoning and adjust to your desired flavor. Turn off the heat and portion into bowls. Top with toppings of your liking and enjoy.
Click here to read more about Steel Cut Oats!