Kerna Grain Salad
By Nettie Colón
- 14 oz bag Kernza by Perennial Pantry
- 5 oz Spinach, roughly chopped from Burning River Farm
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed & 2 tablespoons Roasted Garlic & Oil confit from Tuntum BlackHill Farm
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic Scapes, finely sliced from Dawn2Dusk Farms
- ½ bunch Basil, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch Mint, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic
- Grapeseed or Vegetable Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Maple Sugar from Horner’s Corner
Cook Kernza as you would cook wild rice or pasta. Bring water to a boil, add the Kernza and cook at a medium boil for about 30 to 40 minutes. When done, drain and set aside to cool to room temperature in a sheet pan.
In a large bowl add the Kernza, spinach, garlics, basil, and mint. Mix to combine. Follow with the balsamic, oil, salt & pepper to taste and balance the savory with maple sugar to accentuate the flavors.
“I highly recommend the Maple Sugar and Maple anything from Horner’s Corner to go with the Perennial Pantry’s Kernza Pancake Recipe or any other recipe that calls for Maple syrup, sugar, cream, etc!” –Nettie Colon