By: Jeremy McAdams
- 4 to 6 oz. fresh or 1 oz. dried shiitake mushrooms from Cherry Tree House Mushrooms
- 1 cup short or medium grain white or brown rice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup garlic scapes or scallions
- 2 cups fresh snap peas
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons canola or peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce or to taste
If using dried mushrooms, soak in warm water to cover for an hour, then pat dry with a towel. Save liquid for soup stock or other recipe.
Bring 4 cups of water to boil in cook pot and add rice and pinch salt. Reduce to simmer until rice is tender. Wash Snap peas and remove stems.
Wash and trim garlic scapes or scallions and cut into 1” lengths. If using scallions only use the first few inches of the stalk. Slice or chop mushroom caps. Heat 1 Tbsp canola or peanut oil on medium-low heat in wok or sauté pan. When hot sauté mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Heat remaining canola or peanut oil on medium-high heat. When hot, add snap peas and garlic scapes or scallions, and toss frequently until slightly browned. Add mushrooms, sesame oil, fish sauce, and tamari or soy sauce; then cook for another two or three minutes.
Place vegetables on drained rice and serve immediately.