Harvest Social Pear Chutney
By Jenny Breen
- 1/2 cup honey from Ames Farm
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons seeded and minced jalapeño
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove
- 2 lb. firm-ripe pears from Horner’s Corner, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger from Bean Market
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt
Combine the honey, vinegar, jalapeño, cinnamon stick and clove in a large, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is completely dissolved, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the pears, onion, mustard seeds, fresh ginger, lemon juice and 1/4 tsp. salt. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is soft and the liquid has reduced somewhat, about 45 minutes.
Uncover and continue to simmer until the liquid has almost evaporated, about 10 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and clove. If you’re not canning the chutney, let cool and divide among 3 clean 8-oz. jars. Refrigerate for up to 6 weeks.