By Mero Cocinero Karimi, Host of the Cooking Show con Karimi & Comrades, Founder of Viva La Soul Power
- 2 Cups Thick Poha (flaked rice)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1-2 chopped green chilies
- 2-3 small tomatoes or 1 big one
- 2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1 Pinch hing (asfoetida)
- Handful of peanuts
- 1 Tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ¼ can of garbanzos
- Chopped cilantro
- Oil for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut
- A dash of fresh Lemon juice
- Wash the Poha in cold water once (but do not soak!!!), drain in a colander and set aside.
- Chop onions, chiles, tomatoes kale and cilantro.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, I use a wok. Add mustard seeds, let pop for 1 minute. Add curry leaves. When they begin to darken, add onion, hing and green chiles. Cook for awhile, then add peanuts.
- When peanuts darken, add half of your tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, then stir in turmeric & garbanzos & kale.
- After a minute, stir in poha. Mix well, then let it cook for a few minutes.
- When done, heat up pan to high, then when pan gets hot, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, chopped cilantro, grated coconut, the rest of your tomatoes, and a bit of salt (to taste); distribute all evenly.
- Serve HOT with a side of veggies, and Powerful Protein of your choice to make a delicious VSP breakfast.
For more recipes, go to ThePeoplesCook.org
Photo credit: http://sumthinzcooking.blogspot.com