Turn this recipe into your #WeeklyMarketMeal serving with fried tempeh strips or grilled fish, brats or burgers. Note: Vegetables listed in the ingredients for the wraps are just a guideline–experiement with whatever is in-season and available at the Market.
Collard Green Wraps with Vegan Garden Pesto
By Lachelle Cunningham
For the Pesto
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh herbs (basil, green onion, parsley, cilantro or a combination)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 cloves garlic or 3 garlic scapes
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
For the Wraps (see note above)
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1 yellow bell peppers, julienne or cut into thin strips
- ½ – 1 cucumber, julienne or cut into thin strips
- 1 – 2 carrots, julienne or cut into thin strips
- 1 bunch radishes, leaves removed and bulbs grated
- 2 – 4 ounces microgreens or salad mix
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Asian Dipping Sauce: ¼ cup rice wine vinegar, ¼ cup soy sauce, 1 Tablespoons toasted/dark sesame oil, ¼ tsp cayenne (whisked together)
To make the pesto, place the herbs, sunflower seeds and garlic in a blender or food processor fitted with the S-blade. Pulse to combine, until the mixture is coarsely ground. Turn the motor on and drizzle the olive oil in a thin stream. Add the sea salt, pepper, lemon and nutritional yeast, and pulse a few more times to combine. Taste and add more seasonings as needed.
To assemble the wraps, Cut each collard leaf into 2 pieces by cutting off the stem lengthwise (each leaf will make 2 collard wraps). Spread a spoonful of the pesto inside each collard wrap. Add a small amount of vegetables in a cluster in the center of the wrap. Add 1 teaspoon of Asian Dipping Sauce to each wrap before rolling, or serve in a small bowl for dipping.