Arugula Salad with Bacon, Friesago and Fried Eggs
- 4 stips Sunshine Harvest Farm bacon
- 5 ounces arugula from Prairie Hollow Farm
- 1 oucne (roughly 1/4 cup) shaved Friesago cheese from Shepherd’s Way Farm or other aged cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large eggs from Sunshine Harvest Farm
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Dressing
- 3 Tablespoons minced shallots, ramps, green onions or onions
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sherry or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon honey from Ames Farm
Fry bacon or pancetta until crisp. Crumble into large pieces.
While the meat is crisping, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl. Add the arugula to the bowl (it will seem like too much, but it’s going to wilt in the dressing). Add the cheese and crumbled meat and toss to coat. Taste and season with a tiny bit of salt if necessary. Divide the salad between two plates or bowls.
Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering (but not smoking!), carefully crack the eggs into the pan, leaving a little bit of space between them. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the whites are just set., but the yolks are runny. If the whites are not setting, cover for the last minute or two.
Top each salad with a fried egg and serve with plenty of freshly cracked ground pepper.
Recipe adapted from Serena Wolf‘s ‘Dude Diet’ cookbook.