Xai's Quick-Braised Cabbage and Beans
By MCFM Vendors
- 1 cup dried beans from Bean Market, soaked overnight (heirloom solider beans are beautiful, but any variety will work)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut, sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated with a microplane
- 2-3 cloves peeled garlic, finely chopped
- 1 head of Napa cabbage, roughly chopped
- Salt or soy sauce, to taste (about 1 teaspoon)
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
Boil soaked beans for 30-40 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, warm oil in a large pan on medium-low heat. Add onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and continue cooking, stirring often, for 2 more minutes. Add cabbage, salt and drained beans and continue cooking for 10 minutes, or less for crunchier cabbage. Season with more salt (or soy sauce) and red pepper flakes if desired and serve warm.