By: Beth Jones
Serves 6-8. Make this salad your #WeeklyMarketMeal by serving it alongside Singing Hills’ pork sausages or the protein of your choice!
For the Beans
- 1 cup dried mung beans from Bean Market, rinsed and picked over for debris
- 3 cups water
- Pinch of salt
For the Dressing
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon mustard, Dijon or brown
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup sunflower, or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
For the Salad
- Cooked mung beans (approximately 3 cups)
- 1 cup carrot, shredded on a mandolin or grater
- 1 cup sliced or shredded radish (daikon, watermelon or cherriette)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup turnip or rutabaga, shredded on a mandolin or grater
- 3 cups mixed greens
- ½ cup crumbled feta (optional)
Place the beans, water and salt in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer the beans until cooked through, but not mushy, approximately 25-35 minutes. Drain the beans, saving the cooking water for soup, or stock at a later time. Allow the beans to cool completely.
Next make the dressing. Toast the cumin and coriander in a dry pan, until toasted and fragrant. Finely grind in a spice grinder. Place all the ingredients in a medium size Mason jar, and shake until thoroughly blended. Season to taste with more salt or chili if desired. Set aside until serving.
Combine the mung beans, carrot, radish, onion, and turnip or rutabaga in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing and allow to marinate for 1 hour. Toss with the mixed greens just before serving, and top with crumbled feta if desired.