By Brenda Langton
- 4 Medium fresh red bell peppers (OK to substitute jarred peppers, but rinse first)
- 15 medium cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground caraway
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons chili pepper flakes (or less, to taste)
- 2.5 cups sunflower, olive or grape seed oil
Cut peppers in half, remove seeds, place on an oiled sheet tray, not too crowded.
Put in broiler for 5-6 minutes, turning and moving peppers as needed to cook all of them. Skins should be about 70-80% blackened. Next, shut off the broiler and put the tray in the oven for 4-5 minutes to continue cooking (sometimes the bottom part of the pepper doesn’t always cook through with the broiler method).
Place peppers in a container with lid to steam the skins off of the flesh. Peel after a few minutes when cool.
With skins and seeds removed, place peppers in a blender. Add all other ingredients except oil. Blend on low to medium speed. When smooth, add the oil drizzled in slowly.