The Blended Burger, created in partnership with The Mushroom Council, features chopped mushrooms blended with ground beef at a ratio of 30:70 to cut back on sodium and cholesterol, while boosting vitamins and flavor. Not to mention because mushrooms require minimal resources to grow, a Blended Burger is more Earth friendly–especially if you’re using local produce and grassfed beef from the farmers market!
Blended Mushroom Burger
By Brenda Langton
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil or oil of choice
- ½ Tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion or shallot minced
- ½ pound mushrooms from Northwood Mushrooms or Prairie Hollow Farm, medium dice
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pound ground beef, from Sunshine Harvest Farm
- 1 small jalepeno, minced (optional)
- ¼ cup chives, cut small
- Hamburger buns from Baker’s Field or Solomon’s Bakery for serving
Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté garlic and onions on medium low heat for about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat 3-4 minutes. Add the soy sauce and cook until liquid is gone. Cool.
In a large bowl, combine the mushroom mixture with the beef, jalepeno (if using) and chive. Mix well. Shape into 5 burgers or smaller ones.
Grill the burgers on high, direct heat to the desired doneness, between 5-8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the burgers and how hot your grill is.