Grilled Eggplant with Orange-Miso Glaze
By Brenda Langton
• 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate (or 1 orange, juiced. This will make a
• 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, put thru a garlic press or finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons mirin (you could also use rice wine vinegar if mirin is
• 3 tablespoons white or red miso
• 1 medium eggplant or 3 small Japanese eggplants
• Vegetable oil or toasted sesame oil
Combine orange juice, ginger, mirin, and miso in a small bowl. Stir until smooth and set aside. Heat your grill to medium high heat.
Diagonally slice eggplant into ½ inch round or oval slices. Brush tops lightly with vegetable or sesame oil. Place eggplant slices on the grill and cover. Make sure the eggplant is not on the hot part of grill, and flip them frequently. When you notice that the eggplant is getting soft, turn grill down to low. Brush a generous amount of sauce onto the eggplant and cook for 2 minutes covered. Cook until eggplant is tender. Serve extra sauce on the side if needed.
This sauce will keep in refrigerator for 2 weeks. Can also be used on salmon, or other vegetables such as zucchini or tossed with 2 tsp canola oil as a dressing for cooked beets.