Asparagus with Spring Veggie Saute
By Beth Dooley
- 2 Tablespoons olive or hazelnut oil
- 2 parsnips, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bundle ramps
- ½ pound fiddlehead ferns
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ chop chopped red radish
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 4 ounces Red Table Meat Co. salami, casing removed and roughly chopped
- 1-2 packages of Dumpling & Strand pasta, rice or fresh bread for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the parsnips and ramps until just soft. Add the fiddleheads and asparagus, cover the pan, and cook until just tender. Remove the lid and toss in the radishes. Season with lemon juice and lemon zest, and add in the salami. Serve over cooked pasta, rice or load onto thick slices of toasted country bread.
Also … try these ideas with cooked asparagus:
- Browned butter: cook several tablespoons of unsalted butter over low heat until it foams and then begins to smell and look slightly nutty. Serve alongside the asparagus for dipping.
- Drizzle the asparagus with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, then season with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the hot spears.
- Toss a pan of cooked, chopped pancetta bits and its hot fat over the cooked spears.
- Garnish with chopped hard cooked eggs, drained capers, and extra virgin olive oil