By: Market Chef Heather Hartman
Makes 4 cups.
- 1 small head cabbage, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (white or red vinegar can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ tsp salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill or tarragon (optional)
Place cabbage in a large bowl and add ½ tsp of salt, and toss to combine. Set aside while you prep the other ingredients.
In a large sauce pan, and the butter or olive oil, and the onions. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the apples, caraway seeds and cook until apples wilt a bit. Then add the cabbage, the apple cider vinegar, honey and salt, and cook on medium high, stirring often.
Taste as you go to find your texture preference. This is especially good the next day when cooked down quite a bit. Add water, stock, white wine, or cider if you find it needs more moisture.
Other great additions: chopped jalapeno, grated beets, fennel bulb
Will last in a glass container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Perfect with Red Table Meat Co. Pancetta!