by Jeremy McAdams, Cherry Tree House Mushrooms
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms – cleaned, stemmed & chopped (Cherry Tree House Mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup wild Rice (Northern Lakes Wild Rice)
- 1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil (Valli Dell’Etna Olio)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (Stone’s Throw Urban Farm)
- 2 celery stalks or small celery root, diced
- 1 clove garlic (Dawn2Dusk Garden)
- 1/2 tsp. oregano (Loon Organics)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose Flour (Sunrise Flour Mill)
- 1/2 cup white wine 1 bay leaf 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. rosemary (Loon Organics)
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. salt pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup friesago cheese, finely grated (Shepherd’s Way Farm)
Place wild rice in a wire strainer and rinse with cold water. Place the rice in a pot and add water so water is 3/4 of an inch above rice. Bring to rolling boil for ten minutes then simmer covered until the rice opens and becomes fluffy, or about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally while simmering.
While rice cooks, heat butter or oil in dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery with salt and cook until the onions have softened and turned translucent, or about 5 minutes. The the heat down to medium and stir in the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, or another 15-20 minutes.
Add the garlic and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir until they become sticky and there is no more visible dry flour. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the wine. Simmer the mixture until it has thickened and the wine has reduced. Stir occasionally while simmering.
Add the bay leaf and stock. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes to meld the flavors. Add the rosemary, milk, and wild rice. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until the soup has thickened to your liking. Stir in the vinegar, half the cheese, and pepper. Serve immediately with remaining cheese sprinkled on top.
adapted from recipe provided by Northern Lakes Wild Rice
photo credit: tryityoumightlikeit.wordpress.com