By: Jill Holter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (or substitute green garlic or garlic scapes)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh or frozen shelled peas or chopped pea pods
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans from Bean Market (see note above)
- 4 cups greens (spinach, nettle, chard, arugula, etc.)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Handful of fresh herbs (chives, cilantro, mint, etc.)
- Dollop of Jen’s Jars Spinach Pine Nut Pesto
In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, saute 5 minutes until it starts to soften. Add red pepper flakes, season with salt and pepper. Add peas, beans, greens and broth. Simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Toss in herbs of choice, taste for additional seasoning.
With an immersion blender ( or a food processor or traditional blender, working in batches) puree soup. Serve in bowls with a dollop of Pesto, and a pickled radish cheese toast on the side.