Stir Fried Spinach with Walnuts and Flax Flakes
By Market Chef Heather Hartman
- 2 bunches of fresh spinach (or water spinach, pea shoots, kale, or chard) washed in a large bowl of water and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 3 cloves of garlic, cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon tamari or other soy sauce (see note above)
- 1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
2-3 tablespoons of flax flakes (Premium Gold, from the Mill City Farmer’s Market)
Tear the stems form the spinach. If using another type of greens, remove the tough ends.
In a wok or large skillet, add the coconut oil until hot. Add the garlic and cook for 20 seconds. Add the spinach and the tamari. Cook for 1 minute until the greens are slightly wilted, but still bright green.
Top with walnuts and flax seed flakes. Serve hot, or at room temperature.