By: Beth Dooley
Smoked trout, crisp apples and light vinaigrette make a pretty appetizer or light full meal salad. Serves 4.
- 2 small smoked trout (about 1 pound) from Star Prairie Trout Farm
- 1 head fennel
- 1 tart, crisp apple, cored and diced
- 2 cups mixed dark greens (like salad mix, spinach or chopped kale)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut or vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Remove the skin from the trout and pick the flesh off the bones. Toss together the fennel and apple and arrange this and the trout on a bed of greens.
In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over the composed salad. Pass any additional dressing while serving.