Pan-Toasted Corn and Black Bean Salad with Basil
By Robin Asbell
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cold-press sunflower or canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups raw corn kernels (about 2 medium ears)
- 4 ounces zucchini, cut into ½-in dice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 15 oz canned black beans, drained
- 1 small ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, slivered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat a large, cast-iron frying pan over high heat. Drizzle in 1 tbsp of the oil. Add the corn, zucchini, and onion and stir. Keep stirring until the corn is tender and the zucchini is seared. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Add the beans, tomato, and basil.
Combine the garlic in a cup or bowl with the vinegar, syrup, remaining 1 tsp oil, and the salt. Whisk to mix, then drizzle it over the corn mixture.
Toss to mix and serve, or cover and refrigerate for a couple of days.