By: Robin Asbell
Sweet corn is bursting with sugars, so when you pan-toast it you will caramelize all that wonderful sweetness. Zucchini, tomatoes, and basil are usually booming in the garden at the same time as corn, so use them all in this easy salad. Serves 6.
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cold-press sunflower or canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups raw corn kernels (about 2 medium ears)
- 4 ounces zucchini, cut into ½-in dice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 15 oz canned black beans, drained
- 1 small ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, slivered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat a large, cast-iron frying pan over high heat. Drizzle in 1 tbsp of the oil. Add the corn, zucchini, and onion and stir. Keep stirring until the corn is tender and the zucchini is seared. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. Add the beans, tomato, and basil.
Combine the garlic in a cup or bowl with the vinegar, syrup, remaining 1 tsp oil, and the salt. Whisk to mix, then drizzle it over the corn mixture.
Toss to mix and serve, or cover and refrigerate for a couple of days.