Bánh Mì Party Bowl with Quick Pickled Veggies
By Robin Asbell
- 4 ounces daikon or other radish, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 2 large jalapeños, sliced
- 4 large scallions, slivered
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds seitan, mock duck or other protein, chopped
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- fish sauce, to taste (optional)
- 6 cups cooked black rice (or substitute any other rice, noodle or grain)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, whole
In a medium bowl, combine the radish, carrots, rice vinegar, and sugar and toss to mix. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. In a small bowl stir the mayonnaise, rice vinegar, and sriracha sauce, reserve.
Slice the cucumbers, jalapeños, and scallions and reserve.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, then drizzle with canola oil, swirl to coat. Add the your protein and sprinkle with five-spice and stir. When the protein is browned and heated through, pour the soy sauce and fish sauce over it. Stir and toss until the pan is dry and all the protein is coated. Remove from heat.
On a large platter or in individual bowls, spread the cooked rice, then drizzle with the mayo sauce. Top with the radish mixture, protein, sliced vegetables and cilantro leaves. Serve warm.