April 28, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
New farmers market food and fresh family events
Discover fresh, local produce, artisan foods and the new kids space at the Mill City Farmers Markets opening day Saturday, May 6th!
Minneapolis, Minn.—On Saturday, May 6th Mill City Farmers Market (MCFM) opens for its 12th season—with plenty of new faces. The market’s curated assortment of over 120 farmers, food artisans, restaurants and small businesses includes over 15 new vendors this year, ranging from fresh milk to farm-to-table pizzas! The downtown market is also expanding its free weekly cooking demo with a new partner, Lakewinds Food Co-op, who will be adding activities to occupy its youngest market visitors.
The 20-miunte classes, called Mill City Cooks, take place in the sunny patio of the market’s historic train shed. The Lakewinds-sponsored kids area will feature tables for coloring and other engaging activities, giving adults some free time to relax with a cup of coffee and learn tips and easy seasonal recipes from the market’s professional chefs.
“MCFM is a truly a source of education and inspiration to downtown Minneapolis food shoppers. It’s all about traditions, authenticity, caring for the land and building relationships. Where else in the middle of the high-rise buildings and grocer aisles can you find both an education and inspiration like that regarding your food choices?” says Brian Fredericksen, MCFM vendor and owner of Ames Farm.
In 2016, the market drew in over 125,000 local food enthusiasts, who enjoyed the wide assortment of vendors and market programming—not to mention the beautiful view of the Stone Arch Bridge. Below you can browse the list of vendors joining the line up this year.
New Local Food Vendors at Mill City Farmers Market in 2017
• 3 Bear Oats –Steel cut oats with sweet and savory toppings sourced from MCFM vendors. The cheddar, bacon, and maple “Petite Canadienne” is a must try—Goldilocks would approve.
• Northern Fires Pizza – A familiar face, but this Minneapolis farm-to-table chef is back for his first full-time season at MCFM, sourcing fresh veggies, cheese and meat directly from other MCFM vendors.
• GVY Fresh Produce – Locally and naturally grown produce and flowers from Farmington, MN.
• Honken Dahlias – Urban dahlia farm located in the north end of Saint Paul, Minnesota and growing over 100 varieties of premium dahlias using only organic practices.
• Kappers’ Big Red Barn – This quaint family dairy in Chatfield, MN will be offering farm-fresh milk in glass bottles, as well as chocolate milk, heavy cream and fresh cheese curds.
• Little Hill Berry Farm – Certified-organic blueberries, strawberries and elderberries from Northfield, MN.
• Calvit’s Shrubs – Handmade, natural drink mixers that add flavor and intrigue to soft drinks and cocktails.
• Darling Pickle Dips – White bean and cream cheese dips flavored with pickled veggies and spices. A perfect mate for spring snap peas or a fresh baguette!
• Ommie Snacks – Small batch fruit and seed based energy bars that are nutrient dense and simply delicious.
• Superior Switchel – Traditional American switchel health tonic brewed with fresh organic ginger, apple cider vinegar and Minnesota honey, poured right into a reusable Mason jar or growler.
• You Betcha Kimchi – A tasty Minnesota take on kimchi using all local vegetables.
Plus several wonderful new and local potters, woodworkers, jewelers and textile artists in MCFM’s art market!
Founded in 2006 by acclaimed local chef Brenda Langton and the Mill City Museum, Mill City Farmers Market is Minneapolis’ trusted source for healthy, local and organic groceries, bringing a wide assortment of fresh food, cooking education and live entertainment to one beautiful place. Located next to the Guthrie Theater on 2nd Street S. and Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis’ Downtown East neighborhood, the market runs every Saturday May-October from 8am to 1pm. Click here for more info about opening day events!
Click here for high-definition photos of the market!
Click here for photos from the April 25 First Taste new vendor preview event at Sociable Ciderwerks.
Thanks to Mill City Times, Mill City Farmers official market photographers!!