Three Sisters Bowl with Maple Roasted Turkey
By Yazzie the Chef
- 5 cups hominy, nixtamalized and cooked
- 4 cups cooked black beans from Bean Market (New to cooking dry beans? Check out our recipe!)
- 1 whole acorn squash
- 2 bunches dandelion or other bitter greens
- 2 bunches green onions
- 1 turkey breast
- 1 bunch culinary sage, chiffonade/thinnly sliced
- 1 cup maple syrup from Horner’s Corner
- Salt – to taste
- Garlic powder – to taste
- Sunflower oil
- 1 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 5 cups vegetable stock
Serves 4 – 6 people.
Rub with sage, salt, garlic, and oil. Place turkey in a small roasting pan, pour in vegetable stock, cover roasting pan and bake at 275 degrees for 2.5 – 3 hours. Uncover, rub maple syrup and bake at 400 degrees for 5 – 7 minutes uncovered til skin is golden brown. * cool 15 mins and slice or shred.
Cut squash in half, clean out seeds, cut squash into med cubes. Place on a sheet pan toss with oil and bake at 400 degrees for 5 – 7 minutes til tender. *cool down
Chiffonade or roughly chop dandelion, saute at medium heat til dandelion greens are wilted.
Add squash, hominy, beans, to wilted greens and heat thoroughly. Add salt and garlic powder to desired taste.
Spoon vegetables in bowls and top with desired amounts of turkey, chiffonade green onions, and sunflower seeds. ENJOY!!