By: Nettie Colón
This simple smoked trout toast with herbed feta schmear can be served as breakfast, light lunch or even appetizers on small baguette slices. Enjoy!
For the Herbed Feta Schmear
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (whites and greens)
- 3 Tablespoons feta cheese from Singing Hills Goat Dairy
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 -3 Tablespoons milk
For the Toasts
- Crusty bread, bagels or baguette
- Olive oil
- Salad greens, any kind (salad mix, arugula, baby kale, spinach, etc.)
- Smoked trout from Star Prairie Trout Farm
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Chives, to garnish
In a small bowl, combine yogurt, onion, feta, basil and oregano. Add milk until sauce reaches desired consistency.
Toast or grill bread with olive oil. Mix some of the spring greens with the herbed feta schmear.
To assemble place bread on plate and spoon some of the herbed feta sauce, follow with the dressed greens and top with the smoked trout. Garnish with the chives and a spritz or wedge of lemon.