This recipe comes from Twin Cities based board-certified holistic nutritionist Shahreen Ahmed, owner of of Happy Healthy Shahreen. Find more simple market recipes from Shahreen and shop along as she visits the market in her June Takeover available on our Instagram Highlights.
Note: if you don’t have a food processor you can use a blendor or finely chop herbs and nuts with your knife and mix pesto ingredients by hand.
Garlic Scape Pesto Toast
By Shahreen Ahmed, BCHN
- 2 small bunches garlic scapes (about a dozen scapes)
- 1 bunch basil (about a cup, unpacked)
- 1 bunch cilantro (about a cup, unpacked)
- ¼ cup pine nuts, or substitute other nut or seed
- ¼ cup Parmesan or similar style cheese
- Juice from half a lemon
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tablespoon avocado oil, or substitute olive oil (separated)
First, wash you herbs by placing them in a bowl of water. Shake the leaves in the water to remove any dirt and remove from water before draining it. Place herbs on a clean towel and pat dry. Next, roughly chop garlic scapes and herbs into 1-2″ pieces and add to food processor. Add pine nuts, Parmesan, lemon juice, and ¼ cup avocado oil and puree until desired consistency.
Next, assemble toasts by spreading a generous helping of pesto on each slice of toasted bread. Top with your cooked egg, salt and aleppo pepper to taste, and additional fresh herbs. Enjoy!
Looking for something to do with your leftover pesto? Try Shahreen’s recipe for Coho Salmon with Garlic Scape Pesto and Asparagus.