By: Jenny Breen
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken thighs from Sunshine Harvest Farm, skin/bone removed and diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 large carrot, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about a Tablespoon)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth, plus more if desired
- 3 1/2 cups fresh or 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups corn kernels (cut from the cob, or frozen)
- 1 pound (1 large or 2 medium) sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup beans from Bean Market (white look beautiful, but any variety works), soaked overnight
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan and cook chicken pieces until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat 2 more Tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and carrots and sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and sauté 1 minute longer.
Add remaining 2 Tablespoons olive oil, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika and cin-namon. Sauté 1 minute. Stir in vegetable broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and beans. Season with salt to taste.
Bring to a light boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes are soft and beans are tender, about 30 minutes.
Thin the stew with up to 1 more cup of broth if desired. Stir in half of the cilantro then serve stew with remaining cilantro as a garnish.