By: Heather Meyer
Makes 4 cups.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 4 whole dried hot chilies
- 10-12 tomatillos, husked and washed, chopped
- 2 seeded and minced red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
Heat the coconut oil on medium heat in a large sauté pan, and add the spices and chiles. Cook for one minute, then add the tomatillos, peppers, ginger, sugar, turmeric, water. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Check for seasonings, and reduce more if you prefer a thicker consistency. Finish with the lemon juice, and remove the dried chilies. Add more sugar if needed.
This will last in a glass jar in the refrigerator for 6 days. Perfect with grilled meats, sausages, pancetta, and white fish.