Farmer Relief Fund
The Mill City Farmers Market Charitable Fund (MCFM-CF) has established a Farmer Relief Fund to provide assistance to local farms severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The goal of this relief program is to help keep regenerative family farmers on the land, producing nourishing food for all.
With institutions like schools and restaurants closing, farmers are already seeing the coronavirus’ impact on their livelihoods. Losing these accounts (which typically account for anywhere from 20 to 90% of a small farm’s income), along with declining numbers of wholesale orders from specialty stores, fewer customers at farmers markets and the inherent small margins in which these farms operate are adding up to extreme financial hardship.
MCFM-CF has established a Farmer Relief Fund to provide support for the hardworking farmers in our region whose income has been severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Our goal is to raise $25,000 to provide emergency aid to farmers. 100% of donations will support sustainable farmers in Minnesota and western Wisconsin.
Ways your Donation could have an Impact:
- $25: Many hands make light work! Your donation of $25 goes far to keep local farms up and running
- $50: Provides money for PPE for a farmer and their market staff
- $100: Invests in supplies and equipment needed to seed, prep beds and transplant vegetable crops this spring
- $250: Supports a portion of a farmer’s lost wholesale income due to restaurant closures
- $500: Funds labor needed to set up an online storefront and other COVID-19 related business modifications
MCFM-CF is working with other local food organizations to mobilize a collaborative response to this crisis. We are coordinating resources and funding and to build strong support systems for our local farmers during this trying time. Now more than ever, we’re going to need them for the health of our families, individuals and communities.
MCFM-CF’s COVID-19 farmer relief fund will award farmers with cash grants. Applications for the relief fund will be posted here later in May.
Next Stage Grant Program
The Mill City Farmers Market Charitable Fund (MCFM-CF) is committed to the success and sustainability of the local food economy. MCFM-CF designed the Next Stage Grant to provide funding to local, regenerative farmers and other food producers who are improving sustainable farming and business practices or growing toward the “next stage” of their local food businesses.
Mill City Farmers Market has awarded over 60 grants to local farms and other small businesses since 2013.
2019 Next Stage Grant Awardees
- Big River Farms – ‘Increased Capacity for Mechanical Cultivation Education’
- Clover Bee Farm – ‘Year Round Food Production through Passive Solar Greenhouse’
- Good Turn Farm – ‘Season Extension with Movable Caterpillar Tunnels’
- Growing Lots Urban Farm – ‘Purchasing Bed Prep Equipment’
- Prairie Hollow Farm – ‘Paperpot Transplanter’
- Racing Heart Farm – ‘Hoop House Renovation for Season Extension’
- Red Clover Herbal Apothecary – ‘Increase Herbal Tea and Extraction Production’
- Seven Songs Organic Farm – ‘Nutrition Fact Research and Shelf-Life Testing’