Pea and Mint Croquettes
By Jenny Breen
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 10 large spring onions finely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 Tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 3 lbs. fresh peas (or frozen, defrosted)
- 2 oz. mint leaves, finely shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed/minced
- 5 eggs, beaten (one egg in a separate bowl, for the pea mixture)
- Salt and black pepper
- 8-10 oz panko breadcrumbs OR cornmeal
- Sunflower oil, for frying
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions on medium heat, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add the vinegar, cook for two minutes, then take off the heat.
Put the peas in a food processor and briefly pulse–they need to break down but not so far that they turn into a mushy paste. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the onions, mint, garlic, four beaten eggs, a teaspoon of salt and black pepper. Shape the mix into 1-2 inch patties, place on parchment in freezer for up to one hour (if time allows)
Remove the croquettes from the freezer and, one at a time, dip them first in beaten egg, then in the crumbs. Meanwhile, prepare sauce.
Fry the croquettes in small batches for three minutes each, turning once; make sure the oil isn’t too hot, so the heat can permeate the centre by the time they are golden-brown. Drain well, and top with yogurt sauce (below).
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 oz. pine nuts
- 2 tsp chili peppers/smoked paprika
- 2 oz/ basil leaves, roughly torn
- 2 oz. mint leaves, minced
- 2/3 cup (about 10 oz.) feta, broken into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Combine the yogurt, garlic, 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil in a large bowl and mix well.
Heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the pine nuts, garlic and chili, and fry for 3-4 minutes, until the nuts are golden and the oil deep red. Set aside.
Add basil, mint, feta and salt and pepper to yogurt mixture and toss gently.
Serve sauce over/next to cooked croquette, and sprinkle with pine nut/chili mixture (adapted from Ottolenghi)