Hot and Tangy Strawberry Jam
By Beth Dooley
- 2 pints strawberries*, cut into smaller pieces (about 5 cups)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice (red grapefruit preferred)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated grapefruit zest
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sliced baguette*, for serving (optional)
- Chèvre or other soft cheese*, for serving (optional)
*Sourced at Mill City Farmers Market
Combine all of the ingredients (except the bread and cheese) into a 10-inch sauté pan. Set it over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat an simmer, stirring occasionally until the jam begins to thicken, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and spoon into clean jars, leaving a half inch of head room to allow for expansion. Wipe the rims with a clean wet cloth or paper towel, add the lids and bands, and finger tighten the bands. Once cooled, store in the refrigerator or freeze.
For an easy snack or appetizer, spread soft cheese over sliced bread and top with jam.