Grilled Melon with Market Berry Agro Dulce
By Heather Meyer
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups aronia berries, washed, stemmed and slightly crushed with a fork
- 1 melon (cantaloupe or honeydew), peeled, halved and seeded, cut into ½ inch thick slices
- ¼ cup sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper
- Other fruit to garnish (I love local grapes or blueberries here!)
- Fresh Basil or Mint to Garnish
Bring honey, vinegar and aronia berries to a simmer in a small saucepan. Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes. Watch carefully so it does not burn. Set aside.
Have your grill hot (charcoal or gas) and toss the melon slices with the sunflower oil, salt and pepper. Place them on well-oiled grill, and cook for 3-5 minutes on high heat. Depending on the heat of your grill, do not flip more than once. If it seems to stick, just grill one side and remove when just marked. Place grilled melon on a platter and drizzle with the fruit agro dolce, garnish with the herbs, and add some fancy cheese on top if you are feeling it!
Agro dolce will last in the fridge for 1 week in a glass jar. Really, put it on everything!