Chilled Spiced Carrot Soup
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 Tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or dash cayenne
- 3 Tablespoons neutral vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion*
- 2 Tablespoons minced ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb*
- 3 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled carrots*
- 1/3 cup cashew butter
- 3 cups carrot juice ( jarred or fresh from juice bar or juicer)
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro*
- fresh lime juice
*Sourced at the Mill City Farmers Market
Dry toast the whole spices individually. Allow to cool and then grind them all together in a spice grinder.
In a heavy bottom soup pot, sweat (no color) the onion, fennel and ginger until soft. This may take 3-4 minutes. Having the lid on helps and stir occasionally.
Add carrots, cook two or three more minutes. Add 2 quarts water and salt. Simmer the carrots until soft, about 10-12 minutes. Add the carrot juice and toasted ground spices and then simmer 1-2 minutes more. Put the soup in a blender with the cashew butter and blend until smooth.
Chill the soup before serving. Add garnishes at service.