Breakfast Fried Rice
- 1 ½ cups brown long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 5 eggs, lightly scrambled and cooked, just till set. A little loose is ok, as they will cook more when added to the rice.
- 6 oz. breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled. You can also use cooked bacon, or scrambled tofu seasoned with tamari, ginger, and sesame oil.
- 2 cups chopped seasonal vegetables (we like green beans, carrots, spinach, green onions)
- ½ cup minced herbs (cilantro, basil, parsley)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- ½ cup cashews or peanuts, roughly chopped (optional)
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons tamari
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
Chili- garlic paste or sri racha to taste
1 teaspoon maple syrup
In a sauce pan with lid, add water and bring to a boil. Rinse the rice in a fine meshed colander, and add to pan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and let sit for 5 minutes. This can be done a day ahead. You can also use leftover rice of any kind if you have it!
Heat 2 Tbsp. canola oil, or coconut oil in a large wok or non-stick sauté pan until hot. Add the vegetables and cook for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and add the rice, eggs, sausage, and sauce mixture. Stir until well combined. Bring to high heat for 3 minutes, while stirring frequently. Remove from heat, add herbs, and serve. Have extra tamari and chili paste to serve if needed. Add cashews or peanuts if you like.