The Mill City Farmers Market inspires and nurtures a healthy community by building a local, sustainable and organic food economy in a vibrant educational marketplace.
Our vision is to be a nationally recognized marketplace model that connects, educates and empowers a community to support a healthy, sustainable food system to contribute to the success of local food growers and producers.
Inclusion. We support access to healthy food for all residents of our community.
Stewardship. We nourish the health and integrity of land, animals and people.
Learning. We provide experiential opportunities that educate people about the quality, sourcing and true value of food.
Leadership. We strive to be a leading voice, innovator and public force for a healthy planet.
Partnership. We believe authentic, collaborative relationships are essential to achieving our vision.
Community. We promote a thriving and inclusive gathering place that celebrates our agricultural heritage in a national, historic landmark.
Read our Sustainability Statement
Mill City Farmers Market was founded in June 2006 by Brenda Langton, whole foods educator, chef and owner of spoonriver restaurant, in collaboration with the Mill City Museum to promote “Healthy Foods, Local Farmers.”
- John Crippen, Founding Mill City Museum Director
- Alex Hoag, Founding Director
- Marjorie Hegstrom, Founding Manager
- Patsy Noble, Advisor
- The Wedge Coop, seed money
- Duffy & Partners, design and branding
Mill City Farmers Market is a 501(c)4 non-profit that seeks funding from local businesses, corporations, and foundations. We also seek funding through grants and individual contributions. In 2017 MCFM founded a 501(c)3 Charitable Fund to expand the Market’s educational programming, farmer and food maker grants, and food access work. Click here to read more about the Mill City Farmers Market Charitable Fund.
Mill City Farmers Market Board of Directors
- Joe Dicker, Board Chair. Attorney
- Betsy Faber, Mill City Museum
- Laura Frerichs, Market Vendor, Loon Organics
- Kathy Klink, Board Secretary. University of Minnesota, Faculty in the Department of Geography, Environment and Society
- Mary Racciatti
- Josh Resnik, The Wedge Community Coop, CEO
- Anna Sawyer, Board Treasurer. General Mills, Finance Manager
- Jean Sazevich, Philanthropy Consultant
Mill City Farmers Market Charitable Fund Board of Directors
- John Crippen
- Joe Dicker, Attorney
- Lucy Gerold
- Emily Paul, Board Secretary. The Good Acre, Director, Programs
- Jean Sazevich, Board Chair. Philanthropy Consultant
The Market Board is aided by the following committees composed of market staff, vendors and community members:
Vendor Advisory Committee:
- Pam Benike, Prairie Hollow Farm
- Mike Braucher, Braucher’s Sunshine Harvest Farm
- Chris Chookiatsirichai, Tribal Delightful Concoctions
- Tim Peters, Zula Juice
- Lynne Reeck, Singing Hills Dairy
- Phil Ward, Black Cat Natural Foods
Product Review Committee:
- Jenny Breen, Market Chef & Public Health Nutritionist and Educator
- Nettie Colón, Chef
- Marjorie Hegstrom, Wedge Coop Board President & past Market Director
- Lara Miklasevics, Food Stylist
- Elisa Lobo Neese, Cooking School Coordinator
- Market Staff
Art Market Review Committee
- Mary Kay Baumann, Hopkins/Baumann Editorial Design
- Katie Covey, Weisman Art Museum
- Josie Keifenheim, Mpls College of Art and Design
- Kay McGuire, Director of Retail and Merchandising at Guthrie Theater
- Market Staff