Free cheese curds and everything else for your two-wheel commute!
Staying in town for 4th of July weekend? On Saturday, July 6th from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. we’re hosting our annual Bike to the Market Day, complete with a market scavenger hunt to win a bag of farm fresh cheese curds! Here’s what you need to know to enjoy your staycation:
- Bicycle parking is available near the Guthrie Theater’s “Endless Bridge” on West River Parkway and at the parking meters along 2nd Street South. Whichever entrance you use, make sure to stop by the top of the Market near Spoonriver Restaurant where volunteers will be handing out free Hennepin County bike maps while supplies last.
- Get some gear! The Minneapolis-based bike accessory company äventyr will be at the Market with thoughtfully designed, sustainably produced bike bags, apparel and more. Additionally, the Minneapolis Police Department’s Bike Cops for Kids will be on-site with free bike helmets and other giveaways for children.
- Yoga for Cyclists – The Mill City Farmers Market hosts free 60-minute yoga classes every Saturday June through September. On July 6th, the instructor from YogaFit Studios will be tailoring some extra special poses for cyclists at the 9 a.m. all-level flow class located in the lawn across West River Parkway from the Market.
- Free Cheese Curds – Farmstead Bike Shop and Freewheel Bike Shop are offering free bags of local, fresh cheese curds (the perfect biking snack) to the first 50 people who bike to the Market and complete the Market’s scavenger hunt. Gather stamps from bicycle themed organizations tabling throughout the Market, and then bring your helmet and completed stamp card directly to the Market’s farmer cheese curd producers (Cosmic Wheel, Prairie Hollow and Singing Hills) for a bag of local, squeaky fresh cheese curds.
Every cyclist needs a hearty brunch! If you don’t finish all your cheese curds before your ride home, why not try the Market’s recipe for Scrambled Egg Bruschetta?
Scrambled Egg Bruschetta with Cheese Curds and Vegetables
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 9 eggs
- Fresh chives
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 bag of fresh cheese curds from Singing Hills Goat Dairy, Cosmic Wheel Creamery or Prairie Hollow Farm at the Mill City Farmers Market
- 1 baguette or loaf of crusty bread
- 1 lb seasonal vegetables (snap peas, green onions, kale), grilled or sautéed and cut into small pieces
In a medium sized bowl, break eggs and whisk. Have a non-stick pan, or well-seasoned cast iron pan on medium heat. Add the butter, let it melt around pan. Add eggs, cover, and reduce heat to low for 1 minute. Uncover, add chives, salt, black pepper.
Stir gently with a spatula until a bit curdy. Add the cheese curds and cover. Cook for 1 more minute. Do not overcook. Cut the bread in half the long way and grill or toast. Cut the halves into slices, and rub with garlic if you like. To serve, spoon the egg and cheese mixture on top of bread, and add grilled vegetables.
Click here for more healthy, seasonal recipes