By Heather Meyer
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 large cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
- ½ cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (or more if you like a nuttier version, and who doesn’t like to be a bit more nutty?)
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons Shepherd’s Way Friesago cheese (or parmesan)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, more to cover
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place the garlic and salt in a food processor and pulse until just minced. Add the hazelnuts. Pulse again. Add the herbs and olive oil until a rough paste is found. Add the cheese and black pepper. Pulse a bit more to desired consistency. Add a touch of water if you need help for it to all come together.
Store in a glass jar with a layer of olive oil on top. This will help it retain its green.
Serve with cooked pasta. If making a pasta salad, rinse the pasta in cold water and drain well. Make sure you have a loose consistency in your pesto and toss to combine.
Make more than you need, you may want to eat it for breakfast as well!